Thursday, June 9, 2011

Summer Internship

This summer I am fortunate enough to have an internship with a jewelry designer located about 40 minutes from my house.  I work about 2 days a week (unpaid) but the experience is priceless.  Today was my first day and I was a little nervous about not doing anything all day but I was seriously proven wrong.

I arrived at about 9am and then at 10am the jewelry designer, three other ladies and I went to see a retail buyer (a very popular and well-known one) to show them some jewelry designs.  It was so interesting sitting in on the meeting because I learned all of this jewelry jargon and how to communicate effectively with people who are buying things from you.  The offices at this retail place are incredible too--very busy and well decorated.

We got back to the office at about 12:45 and then we ordered in lunch.  After lunch I was put to work with two other girls and we finished off gluing chain to different necklaces.  It was tricky at first cutting the exact right length of the chain but then I got the hang of it and it began to be relaxing with the music playing in the background.  And the girls who work there are so welcoming and funny and I was pleasantly surprised by the relaxed and comfortable atmosphere.

I left the studio at about 5pm and was dead tired.  Now I know why working people can be so grumpy!  I came home and took a nice nap and relaxed for the rest of the evening.  While there though I came up with some "rules" or "guidelines" that one should have while being an intern or working:

Kristen's Office Rules:
1. Always wear a watch, no matter what.  It's not professional to keep checking your phone every five minutes and not every room will have a clock.  (learned from The Hills; LC didn't wear watches)

2. Always leave early for work; you never know what traffic / delays you may encounter on the way.  Being early shows people you respect them and enjoy being on time.  There is nothing worse than arriving late somewhere and being yelled at or scolded.

3. Flip flops are not for the office.  This jewelry place that I am working at is veryyyy casual but even though some girls wear flip flops, I feel like those shoes should be saved for the beach.  Opt for sandals, flats, or TOMS.

4. Never say, "Is there anything you want me to do?"  Instead politely say, "Can I help you with something?"  You don't want to feel bothersome.

5. It's okay to talk about your personal life with your coworkers.  However, there are limits to this rule.  You shouldn't talk negatively or gossip about anyone; don't bring personal problems to work; and don't bring up private or inappropriate things about yourself.  Keep it to asking about things going on in their lives or even ask about their childhoods.

I hope everyone enjoyed this little blog and learned something from my guidelines.  I am so lucky to have this internship going into my freshmen year of college because I feel like I'll be one step ahead of everyone getting internships and networking in the future.

Do you have an internship or job?  Comment about it below :)

-km

No comments:

Post a Comment